Tuesday 25 November 2014

One Million Dubliners - A Captivating Documentary

Hey everybody,

I know it's been awhile since I've posted anything but I felt compelled to share with you, a documentary that I watched recently.

After reading a lot of tweets from people raving about this I had to watch it for myself to see what it was really about.



If you want to watch the trailer, click here.

One Million Dubliners is a documentary directed by Aoife Kelleher. One of the opening lines in the documentary is "there are 1.5 million people buried in Glasnevin cemetary and the population of the whole of Dublin is 1.2 million. There are more people buried in Glasnevin than there are walking around Dublin." That to me is just an amazing statistic.

So, One Million Dubliners is centred around Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin, where we meet the historian and tour guide, Shane Mac Thomáis. It's apparent from the beginning that he is charismatic and interesting and very passionate about his job. From the beginning of the film, I was enthralled by his stories. Not only do we meet Shane who gives us a little background into the historical figures who are buried at Glasnevin cemetery but he gives us some insight into his affiliation with the cemetery too. We also hear the stories of people who have loved ones bureid at the cemetery too. It's such a poignant and moving film.

If there's one thing you do this month, I'd recommend that you watch this beautiful and moving film. It's available from the RTÉ player here. I believe it's available on the RTÉ player for a couple more weeks but if you can't get access to the RTÉ player, it's also available on DVD from this Friday, November 28th.

It's not something that I usually share here but it really moved me and I just had to share.

Linda, x


The video is from www.youtube.com/undergroundfilmspro
The picture is from www.undergroundfilms.ie



No comments:

Post a Comment